Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Work, Work, Work

hey all,

Been a busy week so far. I've been asked to do a 6 day work week schedule, but it seems like I might be able to switch to a 5 day if I start feeling pressured or stressed. Classes are going pretty well. I've started a daily grammar activity where I have the students conjugate verbs. I started this because my boss had the students do this for some simple, common verbs and they couldn't do it at all. Things like "Tonight I will eat a cake. Yesterday I ___  a cake. I have just ___ a cake," with "ate" and "eaten" in the blanks. We teach them complicated subjects like physics, tectonic plates, Baroque composers, etc, but somehow some simple things are not been taught/trained.

On top of the long week, the hours are also a bit long, but unlike my last job, if classes are done, or if I'm already prepared for my next classes, I'm allowed to take off (as long as I'm back in time if I still have a class later that day). It looks like they might be reducing the length of some of my days, as I'm working 6 days.

I ran into this on the internet today: a robot that sings and dances! The average Japanese pop singer can be said to have about the same personality as the robot, so think they should be worried about being automated out of their jobs.

That's all for now.
Cheers,